Sunday, November 28, 2004

ON AMBITION, SUCCESS and ENLIGHTENMENT...

Needing to be the best at what I do - and wondering, am I too driven?
Wanting to have the means to travel the world, live well, to play and to share - yet am I just another brainwashed consumer?
Finding the strongest guy, with influence, testosterone and the respect of others - am I a slave to the myth of the Alpha male?

I intend on saving the world or at the very least, doing one or two things that are very very amazing - am I suffering from illusions of grandeur?

Is it too much to ask? For me to say I want it all? Am I selfish to think that I could be so blessed?

I challenge myself to greet others with the same unconditional love and compassion that Jesus would have, or Mohammed, or Buddha, or Santa...
I mean to find enlightenment, in this lifetime.
And I aim to watch less TV, take the dog for longer walks, floss my teeth, call my grandmother more often and start composting...

Can my lofty dreams co-exist with the mundane?
Can I want more yet also hold a deep reverence for who I am here and now?
Can I be profound and insignificant in my human beingness?
Can I hold ultimate wisdom and absolute un-knowing at the same time?

These points of tension are the birthplace of my creativity.
The mystery of this dichotomy tantalizes me daily.
I strive to find a theory of everything that applies to my own complexity and am left with only wonder.

PH


"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

3 Comments:

Blogger Ones and Zeros on the Interweb said...

Lots to comment on, but I'll restrict myself to one facet.

Alpha males are by definition, ruthless and self serving. They make poor long term choices as partners, habitually ditching the women that love them and questing for new conquests almost all the time. You already know this though, I'm sure.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Bethanie Odd said...

In my runes there is a common phrase... stepping knowingly into the void is the true quest of the spiritual warrior. strive to live an ordinary life in a non ordinary way. This bring the parellels together so that "the poem" occurs in everything....

xo

9:16 AM  
Blogger Mindfull said...

So nice to be understood in this place of un-knowing... The alpha male thing is a bit of a fantasy. I think I'd be quite content with someone who makes me laugh and gives a nice massage... oh, and who plays Scrabble!
PH

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home