Wednesday, January 19, 2005

What My Mother Never Knew #4: Stashed Secrets

There were a number of secrets that I had stashed away at that time. For instance, I knew about my mom's stash.
We found the baggie one day in her purse along with her lipstick and cheque book, acting quick to pilfer as much as we could without notice. We didn't know quite what to do with it and had only taken a few rolling papers. So we decided to practice with newspaper and grass (the green kind from outside). It was awkward and the joints looked more like cigars but eventually, we made some sense of the process and switched to the tissue-like papers.

We smoked the first one in the house, in my mom's bedroom, hanging out the window. It tasted vile but we forced ourselves to complete the whole joint. It was probably mild compared to the harsher chemicals we'd been trying but it still felt like a daring 11 year old act of defiance. And if a professional educator and mother could have this stuff in her purse, why not us? We were becoming women of the world after all, weren't we?

We had other secrets of our own stashed away. My friend and I were being paid to take care of a neighbour's plants while she was away. There were many plants and getting to all of them was an ordeal. But every second day for three weeks we diligently put our fingers in the soil to check for thirst and responded accordingly. It was wonderful to have this escape pad to retreat to. We smoked a few cigarettes from a package that was left on the kitchen counter. We played the Doobie Brothers:

Old black water, keep on rollin'
Mississippi moon won't you keep on shinin' on me?
Yeah, keep on shinin' your light, gonna make every thing
Pretty mama, gonna make everything all right
And I ain't got no worries 'cause I ain't in no hurry at all
Well, if it rains, I don't care, don't make no difference to me
Just take that street car that's goin' up town
Yeah, I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland and dance a honky tonk,
and I'll be buyin' everybody drinks all roun'-------


We even got funky on her bed one time. "Did you get yours?" she said. "Yeah. Did you?"... "MMMMM"... smiles. "I've got homework - help me straighten up this bed. I'd die if she knew we were in here."

We laughed about our brazen act later, but really, it wasn't that risky. The lady was in Mexico - it wasn't like she was going to walk in. Still, the fear of possible discovery was exhilarating! Lying side by side, pleasuring ourselves, hearing each other's breathing quicken and knowing we were in a strange place listening to someone else's records - it was a total turn-on. Sure, it was a bit on the irreverant side... but you're only young once right?

1 Comments:

Blogger chewy said...

i've enjoyed your stories so much i'm adding you to my blog roll.

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home